Mt. Olympus Community Council

The Mt. Olympus Community Council (MOCC) meets on the first and third Tuesdays of each month at Churchill Jr. High, 3450 Oakview Drive, 7:00 p.m.

 

Mt. Olympus Contacts

David Baird, Chair
Thousand Oaks Drive
Phone: 801-831-7943
Email: davidbaird70@yahoo.com

Ken Smith, Vice Chair
Lares Way
Phone: 801-278-4576
Email: kennethesmithco@gmail.com

North Area

Bill Blatter
Westwood Drive
Phone: 801-232-0017
Email: bjblatter@gmail.com

Pasu Pasupathi
Crestwood Drive
Phone: 801-274-0818
Email: pasupathi@comcast.net

Richard Williamson
Warr Road
Phone: 801-448-9895
richard.williamson@va.gov

South Area

Joan Haven
Mars Way
Phone: 801-541-2727
Email: joaniehaven@yahoo.com

Joy Goddard
Jupiter Drive
Phone: 801-278-9779
Email: Joy.goddard@hsc.utah.edu

Charles Pruitt
Covecrest Drive
Phone: 801-274-1309
Email: charles.w.pruitt@comcast.net

John Knoblock
Zarahemla Dr
Phone: 801-274-0566
Email: johnhknoblock@yahoo.com

Kumar Shah
Parkview Dr
Phone: 801-278-7586
Email: shahk@comcast.net

 

Mt. Olympus Facts & Firsts

 The area we call Olympus Cove is the upper part of an alluvial fan of sediments carried out of Millcreek and Neff’s Canyons of the Wasatch Range over tens of thousands of years. Before the arrival of Caucasian pioneer settlers in the Salt Lake Valley, this area was occupied seasonally and sporadically by bands of Goshute, Ute and Shoshone people, although none claimed the area exclusively.

There were several advantages of our current neighborhood to early pioneer settlers: water, forests and land suitable for grazing and orchards. Millcreek was explored by Orson Pratt and Erastus Snow on July 21, 1847, three days before Brigham Young entered the Salt Lake Valley. Pratt reported being impressed with the trees, grasslands, and water supply of our area. The lower part of Millcreek was Utah’s first settlement outside of Great Salt Lake City.

By spring of 1848, John Neff, Sr. And Robert and Archibald Gardner settled in the upper Millcreek area. The Gardeners started a saw mill on the waters of Millcreek near what became Highland Drive and Neff headed further east and constructed the valley’s first flour mill near present-day Evergreen Ave. And 2700 East. Shortly after, the Osguthorpe, Stillman, Keller, Fisher and Russell families settled along Millcreek. They built mills to produce flour, shingles, sawn lumber and molasses from Highland Drive to the top of Millcreek Canyon. John Neff built a road east into the canyon named for him to cut timber to build Salt Lake City and its new “suburbs.”

The full development of the Olympus Cove began in earnest after World War II. Land that was lightly populated by ranchers grazing animals and fruit growers and their orchards gave way to new subdivisions. In the 1950’s, the new Eastwood Elementary School and Eastwood Hills subdivision were constructed on an area that had beMOCC mapen an early landfill. The Mount Olympus Park subdivision and numerous others followed, taking advantage of the captivating views and natural beauty of the area.